Today was a good day for learning about being authentic. At 37 now, I realize that I’m not always acting in a way that is present and authentic with what I think and feel. Being authentic means you communicate clearly who you are and what you want. Today, I took a step to remedy that and it feels good. Because it’s not always easy to be authentic and clear. You might get turned down and rejected. But that is the price of being a dominant man who takes the risk, leads interaction, and says what is on his mind.
So what did I do today to be authentic? I was very firm and clear with a woman about my intentions and desires. And I didn’t hold back. And it felt really good to do. I know I could get rejected, but I don’t care. It’s far better to be clear and authentic and rejected, than it is to hold back and wonder. This is one of the great lessons over the last 6 months. That I am a man – and quite the catch of a man at that. And anyone who doesn’t see that will get the gift of missing me :).
To be authentic, follow what the book, The Four Agreements, says about never making assumptions. Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
I have more work to do in the being authentic department. But I had a victory today. And I will have more victories in the future. And the victory isn’t whatever the result of being authentic is. That’s the beauty of it. The victory is in simply having the courage to be authentic. That is where the personal growth comes in – the majority of it. The small minority is in whatever the result of being authentic is – an acceptance or rejection are sort of the icing on the cake at that point.
What other things am I authentic about?
To continue this exercise, here are other things I am authentic about.
- I LOVE the game of basketball. I love to shoot around for hours and practice fade-away jump shots.
- I LOVE going to the gym and getting my body in better shape.
- I LOVE beautiful, feminine women with long hair, who are smart, and who take great care of their bodies.
- I LOVE sleeping in. Today, I slept in until noon. I loved doing that. I hate getting up early.
- I LOVE writing. I have a journal and a website here that I write in.
- I LOVE working on my game. I have a passion for quality role playing games in the fantasy realm.
- I LOVE finance. I like to manage my money and net worth, even though it is a meager amount.
- I LOVE technology and the future. I love to see where things are going and humanity is getting better.
- I LOVE to travel. Seeing San Francisco has made me realize there is so much more to see.
- I LOVE to laugh, talk, and have great conversation. I wish I had more people to do this with, or someone close to me to do it.
There’s so much that I love to do and about life :).
- Poem – To Take The Shot
- Surfacing Childhood Wounds
- Getting the Eye of the Tiger Back
- Rejection is Like Gold
- Holding Stocks When Fear and Panic Set In