I just read an article about how life isn’t fair and that we should deal with it. Well, yes, life certainly has a way of putting snags in things or deciding to throw unexpected turns your way just to see what happens. I think the universe has laws of physics and motion and then there are people (along with the physics of everything) on this earth which largely determine the outcome. I think we’re along for the ride for the most part. Chances are, that you as one person, aren’t going to do much to influence the outcome. So I’m going to say right now that your life being fair is relative and a little luck, hard work, and ingenuity can help.
Here’s some givens as far as I can tell:
- We don’t choose our parents or family.
- We don’t choose our economic status.
- We don’t choose how much love we get as babies.
- We don’t choose our parents mistakes. If they screw our body up at birth, that’s our problem to live with.
- We don’t have much in the way of choice for the first few years of our lives. Even as kids, we don’t really learn to think properly until our older years.
- Even if we do our very best to be aware of our surroundings, we can be caught unaware and hurt.
- Even if we do our very best to take care of our bodies, we can be misinformed, ignorant, and cause ourselves hurt.
Fair to me is simply a fighting chance to have a good life. A good life means you have enough health and opportunity to choose what you want to do with your life. Life is not fair if something happened to you out of your control. Life is not fair if you can’t take enough opportunity in your life to have a good life. Because so many things go wrong, I’m going to say that your life isn’t fair.
Now that we know everyone’s life is not fair, there are different levels of course. Maybe you lost a limb at birth, or you got injured later on in life. There really is many things that can go wrong. Why does someone grow up right now in a poor country and starve and suffer? I wish I had a good answer for this. I don’t. The best I can do is say that I’m alive and healthy right now. And I have the ability to use what I’ve been given to write and interact with people and possibly help them. And maybe something I’ve said or done to people less fortunate or even more fortunate than I has been helpful.
So if you are asking if your life is fair, I’d say that it can be. Notwithstanding unfortunate events than can occur, I think there are plenty of people in the world that are trying to do good and help other people. Life is crazy and chaotic. I think we all need someone to tell us that things are going to be OK no matter what life throws at you. Your life can be fair by helping make someone else’s life fair. What goes around, comes around I say. And I think that every time you care about someone else, you help make their life more fair and in turn, your life becomes more fair.